Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Quick Thought & A Question (or Three)

Something has occurred to me over the past few days, and I've decided to share it.

I can't think of any hobby off-hand that considers itself in theoretical terms as frequently as Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games. Why is that?

I'm not sure.

Perchance it has to do with the unique, often misconstrued, and somewhat historically unprecedented nature of what we do. Are we attempting to define Tabletop Gaming for ourselves?

Mayhaps it's the minimum levels of curiosity and creativity needed to participate in our hobby which drive us to such esoteric heights. Does creativity + curiosity lead to a theoretical bent?

It is possible I am simply unaware of the way other hobbyists write about their avocations.

(In passing, I considered the way poetry enthusiasts [a dying breed we are] often dive deep into the technical/critical/theoretical side of things. Then I thought of how stunningly rare it was for me to have these types of conversations outside of a classroom filled with other English majors. Barring fellow students, I've ran across damn few who liked poetry and had any understanding of prosody.)

As always, dear readers, your thoughts, comments, questions, and spewing vitriolic hatefulness* are welcome.



*Please limit all vitriolic hatefulness and general bile to well written blocks of prose (or heroic couplets). Patently stupid comments will be removed. Thank you for frequenting Violent Media: Dice and Design. Buy Moxie.